Current:Home > reviewsColombia moves to protect "holy grail" of shipwrecks that sank over 3 centuries ago with billions of dollars in treasure -PrimeWealth Guides
Colombia moves to protect "holy grail" of shipwrecks that sank over 3 centuries ago with billions of dollars in treasure
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 03:30:32
Colombia on Wednesday declared a "protected archeological area" around the spot where the legendary San Jose galleon sank off its Caribbean coast more than three centuries ago laden with gold, silver and emeralds believed to be worth billions of dollars.
The designation, said the culture ministry, "guarantees the protection of heritage" through the ship's "long-term preservation and the development of research, conservation and valuation activities."
Dubbed the "holy grail" of shipwrecks, the San Jose was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy near Cartagena in 1708. Only a handful of its 600-strong crew survived.
The galleon had been heading back from the New World to the court of King Philip V of Spain, bearing chests of emeralds and some 200 tons of gold coins.
Before Colombia announced the discovery in 2015, the ship had long been sought by adventurers.
The value of its bounty has been estimated to run into the billions of dollars.
Culture Minister Juan David Correa insisted Wednesday: "This is not a treasure, we do not treat it as such."
He announced the area's new designation at an event launching the first "non-intrusive" phase of a scientific exploration of the wreck.
In February, Correa told AFP that an underwater robot would be sent to recover some of its bounty.
Spain had laid claim to the ship and its contents under a UN convention Colombia is not party to, while Indigenous Qhara Qhara Bolivians claim the riches were stolen from them.
But the government of President Gustavo Petro has insisted on raising the wreck for purposes of science and culture.
Spanish and Qhara Qhara delegations were present at Wednesday's event.
The wreck is also claimed by U.S.-based salvage company Sea Search Armada -- which insists it found it first more than 40 years ago and has taken Colombia to the U.N.'s Permanent Court of Arbitration, seeking $10 billion.
The exact location of the shipwreck is being kept secret to protect what is considered one of the greatest archaeological finds in history from malicious treasure hunters.
In June 2022, Colombia said that a remotely operated vehicle reached 900 meters below the surface of the ocean, showing new images of the wreckage.
The video showed the best-yet view of the treasure that was aboard the San Jose — including gold ingots and coins, cannons made in Seville in 1655 and an intact Chinese dinner service.
At the time, Reuters reported the remotely operated vehicle also discovered two other shipwrecks in the area, including a schooner thought to be from about two centuries ago.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Colombia
veryGood! (69386)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Kevin Bacon's Sweet Anniversary Tribute to Kyra Sedgwick Will Make Your Heart Skip a Beat
- Alex Murdaugh seeks new trial in murders of wife and son, claiming clerk tampered with jury
- Biden nominates former Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew to serve as ambassador to Israel
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Best back-to-school tech: Does your kid need a laptop? Can they use AI?
- The US sent cluster munitions to Ukraine but activists still seek to bolster a treaty banning them
- Kevin Bacon's Sweet Anniversary Tribute to Kyra Sedgwick Will Make Your Heart Skip a Beat
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Pennsylvania manhunt for escaped killer Danelo Cavalcante intensifies after latest sighting
Ranking
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Teenage rebellion? Dog sneaks into Metallica concert, delighting fans and the band
- Keke Palmer and Darius Jackson Dance the Night Away at Beyoncé's Tour After Romance Drama
- How RHOSLC Star Jen Shah's Family Is Doing Since She Began Her 5-Year Prison Sentence
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- What to know about acute liver failure, Steve Harwell of Smash Mouth's cause of death
- 'A time capsule': 156-year-old sunken ship found in pristine condition in Lake Michigan
- Police broadcast message from escaped murderer's mother during manhunt, release new images of fugitive
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
See Beyoncé's awe-inspiring Renaissance outfits, looks throughout career as tour nears end
Rhode Island voters to decide Democratic and Republican primary races for congressional seat
Complaints over campaign comments by Wisconsin Supreme Court justice are dismissed
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Gilmore Girls Secret: The Truth About Why Rory Didn’t Go to Harvard
Pier collapses into lake on Wisconsin college campus, 1 hospitalized, 20 others slightly injured
USDA designates July flooding a disaster in Vermont, making farmers eligible for emergency loans